We invite you to the 3rd Annual Passive Projects Competition Awards Ceremony on September 28 at 5:30pm in the Exhibit Hall at the MOTIF Hotel in Seattle. Back by popular demand, this juried competition recognizes fully certified passive building projects of all types and climate zones. This is your chance to showcase your work and celebrate the great strides being made in the field of passive building.
Submissions now closed.
Winning and honorable mention awards will be given in four categories:
- Single Family
- Commercial / Institutional
Additionally, two projects from the above winners will be awarded:
- Best Overall Project of this year’s competition
- Best Project by a Young Professional (35 or under)
The winning and finalist entries will be unveiled during the opening of the exhibit hall and accompanying reception from 5:30-7:30pm on Thursday, September 28, 2017 in the MOTIF Hotel in downtown Seattle. Awarded entries will remain on display throughout the core conference from September 29-October 1, 2017. (Interested in sponsoring the Design Awards Ceremony? Sponsorship opportunities are available)
- Submitters of winning entries will receive one full year of PHAUS membership (existing members will be extended by one year)
- Winning projects will be featured in followup coverage of the conference by Green Building & Design magazine
- PHIUS and PHAUS will feature winning entries as case studies on their home pages
- PHIUS and PHAUS will publicize winners via social media, e-newsletters, and press outlets
- PHAUS members: $95
- Non-members: $145
*Entry fee covers poster printing and mounting of award winners and runners up in all categories.
* The PHI database includes a variety of entries – only those marked as certified are eligible.
Entries will be scored on a scale of 1 – 5 based upon the following criteria:
- Performance (for example, meets PHIUS+ standard, better than standard, crushes the standard)
- Difficulty level (climate/site/location/requirements challenges)
- Design (e.g., smart use of space)
- Health (e.g., use of non-toxic materials)
PHIUS/PHAUS has assembled a panel of five jurors, each of whom meets two of the following three criteria:
- CPHC®, PHIUS Certified Builder, PHIUS+ Rater or PHIUS+Verifier in good standing
- Completion of at least one certified project
- Licensed professional
This year’s jurors are:
- Katrin Klingenberg, PHIUS Executive Director
- Alison Kwok, Professor of Architecture, University of Oregon
- Betsy Pettit, President, Building Science Corporation
- Mary Rogero, Interim Chair Department of Architecture and Interior Design, Associate Professor at Miami University, OH
How to Enter
- Register and pay the entry fee using the links at the bottom of the page.
- Complete the online application form (we recommend that you review the form and assemble the required information prior to going in to complete the form).
- Upload a pdf suitable for printing and mounting a vertical orientation poster measuring 24″ wide x 36″ high and 300 dpi that includes:
- Project Title/Use-Type/Location/Client
- 250 word maximum text description of project
- WUFI Passive or PHPP results
*PHIUS employees and board members may not enter their own projects into the competition, however other project team members/firms are eligible to enter a project. Projects with a PHIUS board member as CPHC are eligible to apply.
Deadline for Entry (closed)
Tuesday, Sept. 5 at 11:59pm PST
Projects must be fully certified by entry deadline.
Payment, online application and poster board (pdf) must all be submitted by entry deadline.
Winners will be announced on Thursday, September 28, 2017 during the opening of the exhibit hall and accompanying reception from 5:30-7:30pm in the Exhibit Hall of the MOTIF Hotel in downtown Seattle.
File-size limit 30MB. If your file exceeds this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll provide a Dropbox upload link instead.